Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Original post from anonymous user from Last.FM

"I am curious about something, and maybe some current Korn fans can illuminate my dark, dark ignorance. See, when I was 10 years old, I thought Korn were fucking amazing. The heaviest, most insane band on Earth, and they really spoke to me emotionally. I too hated my parents, my school, my town... they were are shit head fuckers who didn't understand me. However, as I got older, I realized I was just being a stupid fucking kid. My parents were(and are) amazing, my town wasn't great but I didn't have to stay, and school was awesome. However, I find that people who have moved passed puberty still like Korn, well into their 20's and beyond. My question: what about Korn do you find appealing past the age of 14 or so? The music is clearly geared to very young people both stylistically and lyrically, so what is the appeal? At 20 something years old, do you still hate your parents and wear black all day?"

Your Thoughts?

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Thought your post reads great Abdul. Totally agree, by the way - it's more how Korn actually sound that has always caught my attention, too

2. RE: Re:

Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Godkiller wrote:
    I suppose that initial sentence of mine was aimed at people for which metal isn't just a passing fad.

Or for people who seemingly deify what is essentially just vibrations of air.

3. RE: Re:

Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Godkiller wrote:
    I suppose that initial sentence of mine was aimed at people for which metal isn't just a passing fad.

Passing fad?

I can understand how you fail to see any other way. You are obviously very enthusiastic about your metal, which is great, but you need to keep in mind that as you age and experience different things you will change as a person and that can also result in a change in musical taste.

I used to listen to all the nu metal stuff and very little else, yet 10 years later I can honestly say that I can't listen to even one song. You can't really call it a 'passing fad' because that assumes that you change your taste very quickly. For me it wasn't a quick change; it was a long gradual drift from one genre to others.

I still enjoy metal and I'm still as big a NIN fan as I ever was, but my love of metal has diversified onto other things. I can easily imagine a day when I even find NIN to be impossible to listen to. Maybe it wont happen any time soon, but in ten years I may well reject metal completely in favour of something entirely different.

Music tends to accompany the type of life and mind frame you exist in and as that changes so does the music.

4. RE: Re:

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I'm 57 years old. I have been a fan of Korn since about 1994. There have been albums that I wasn't crazy about but others that I loved. Unlike the die hard, old school fans, I appreciate that Korn has always tried new things which give the fans something to look forward to and keeps their music fresh. The world is dynamic and music must be dynamic, too. I believe that they have achieved this with The Path to Totality which I really enjoy...so much so that I am going to my first Korn concert in Knoxville on April 30. I'll be the one up in the center balcony with the silver hair.

But back to your question...why would I still listen to Korn. I don't find that the lyrics are geared to very young people. I find that many of the songs are representative of how someone can feel at any stage of their life based on how life has treated them. It really doesn't have anything to do with hating your parents...maybe more with hating your circumstances. Wait until you get a few decades on you. Maybe you will begin to understand. I suppose that I can only give the answer that represents me...old people have angst, too! And, besides, how can you resist that bass?

5. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Sun, May 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Cool post and spot on about how Korn can relate to all ages

Get the latest from Korn!