Opinions on Religion?

Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM

So I'm curious of what you all feel about religion, or what you view. I thought this would be a interesting topic. Plus I wanna get to know some people on here.

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Atheist

Don't believe in a god or a religion. The way I look at it as is that religion is like a penis. Its fine to have one. Its fine to be proud of it. But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around, and please don't try to shove it down children's throats.

2. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I'm a satanic christian.

"Sometimes, I hate, the life, I made
    everything's wrong every time"

3. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM

religion is not a big deal to me and i dont give a shit what other people's religions are.i accept people no matter their religion.
    a bag of weed a bag of weed everything is better with a bag of weeg

4. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I accept people of all religions, but I choose to not subscribe to any particular one. I believe what I believe, and though I am willing to listen to any ideas, I'm not very likely to accept them. I don't agree with religions that are hateful, exclusive, or violent (In their theoretical form, because people suck and use religion to hide behind while committing atrocities). I also don't agree with religious fanatics that push their beliefs on other people and disrespect their way of life (Such as the people from Westboro Baptist Church). But I do believe that forgiveness and peace are key, so while I don't agree with them, I forgive them for their ignorance, and hope that they will someday find a better path.
    There is no sound more
    beautiful than the tenor
    of a troubled man

5. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM

ladyfreakshow wrote:
    religion is not a big deal to me and i dont give a shit what other people's religions are.i accept people no matter their religion.
    a bag of weed a bag of weed everything is better with a bag of weeg

"Sometimes, I hate, the life, I made
    everything's wrong every time"

6. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Fuck god and Jesus sucks dick. Can I say that here?
    Dead Bodies Everywhere

7. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I would say that God exists, but not in any way that we can possibly concieve. If we did find God the Republicans would undoubtedly find the whole situation problematic. They have found something new to start a war with, but that thing happens to be God. A tricky situation but I'm pretty sure the standard Republican urge to kill stuff would result in the US nuking Him.

Anyway, I think more along the lines of Solaris. God is an entity which created things. If the universe was created by a giant cloud of atoms and energy then that would be God.

But to think God gives a shit about us is as silly as it would be for us to care about the existence of an individual microbe.

8. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I believe in God but I don't associate myself with any religious organization. I don't mind being friend with people of different religions as long as they don't force their beliefs on me. That's why I don't usually talk about religion because it's really controversial and I don't feel like arguing with people.
    "Become good at cheating and you never need to become good at anything."

9. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Felix Dzerzhinsky wrote:
    I would say that God exists, but not in any way that we can possibly concieve. If we did find God the Republicans would undoubtedly find the whole situation problematic. They have found something new to start a war with, but that thing happens to be God. A tricky situation but I'm pretty sure the standard Republican urge to kill stuff would result in the US nuking Him.

Anyway, I think more along the lines of Solaris. God is an entity which created things. If the universe was created by a giant cloud of atoms and energy then that would be God.

But to think God gives a shit about us is as silly as it would be for us to care about the existence of an individual microbe.

So Deism with large dose of Pantheism? Einstein had similar opinions, myself; I see little point in deifying reality.

10. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 7:53 AM

misanthrope wrote:
    I'll address you're points about religion itself, being seeing as you stepped into my home turf (science) I'll get that out of the way first:

Bc lets face it atheists, how can something come from nothing. Even u guys have a hard time explaining that one.

Actually not really, because no one worth their salt in the cosmology community will claim anything came from nothing. To undertand why you need to understand that 'nothing' doesn't actually exist, and nor could it. If we posit that before the Big Bang there still existed a system that obeyed the laws of physics, then energy would have existed. Thermodynamics states energy can't be destroyed so essentially you're stuck with it ad infinitum. This energy would have been at the lowest density state, vacuum energy. Vacuum energy still allows for virtual particles to exist, they appear in particle/anti-particle pairs, annihilate and then the energy is returned to the system. Baryon Asymmetry states that occasionally particles are not formed symmetrically, and so do not annihilate. All it takes is say, infinity, and the laws of quantum mechanics (in the case Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle) and eventually you will get a universe. I'd do the maths for you but I'm off out in a minute, so I'll post it later with my reply to your reply about religion itself.

The majority of scientists agree that there is more probability of life to not exist, through their calculations, than it is probable for life to have existed.

Actually they don't. Complex organic molecules and amino acids are some of the most common in the universe, and it's relatively easy for those to form self replicating nucleotide chains given the right catalyst. That's all life really is, self replicating nucleotide chains that by their structure allow for protein synthesis. No supernatural deities required.

For us to be as evolved as we are today not only does the earth have to sit on its axis to a precise mathematical degree but every single other aspect of the big bang, and all that ensued, had to precisely mathematically happen the way that it did.

Cart before the horse fallacy. We exist because those are the conditions that exist. Those condition don't exist just so we can exist.

The point I'm trying to make is that the idea of our evolution itself helps the case for the existence of God. Only something so intelligent as a God could've allowed the pieces to fall as precisely as it did, and still does.

Evolution requires 2 things; life that undergoes reproduction with variation, and and selective pressures. Again, no God required. We are a freak of 4.5 billion years of pressures on our genetics, nothing more. Yet we can understand this, and that makes us special.

Will you marry me?

11. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 7:58 AM

misanthrope, I enjoyed your posts regarding this topic, though, I know you don't care ;). I generally stay out of religious conversations because most people don't like my views.

12. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:43 AM

misanthrope wrote:
    So Deism with large dose of Pantheism? Einstein had similar opinions, myself; I see little point in deifying reality.

A fair point.
    I was in a bit of a rush when I posted my last comment, so I didn't have time to expand on what I was thinking.

For those of you who didn't understand the 'Solaris' reference I specfically meant the Stamislaw Lem novel and Andrei Tarkovsky film. Solaris is a planet covered by an endless ocean of conciousness. For years people have studied this planet and have been unable to comprehend it in any way. All they understand is that the planet has some sort of awareness and perhaps ability to think, but it is so alien to mankind that they cannot know any more than that.

I do wonder what would happen to relgion if we discovered such an entity and found it to indeed be the creator of life in the universe. An entity which created us without any descernable forethought. An entity which didn't adhere to the traditional view of God. No heaven or hell.
    I would imagine that there would be a general refusal of acceptance by the major religions; or perhaps they would embrace it's abiguity as 'proof' that God exists, just not in the form we previously considered.

You'd probably then end up with people sticking up posters of this planet in Churches and in their homes, kissing it before bed.

13. RE: Opinions on Religion?

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Im a forced catholic but really an atheist. Im pretty sure that if there was a god, hed be a complete ass. Haha i hate it when celebs say at award ceremonies Oh and id Like to thank God.... Well yeah he supossedly made you win, and about 4 others lose.

14. RE: Opinions on Religion?

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM

bayley wrote:
    Im a forced catholic but really an atheist. Im pretty sure that if there was a god, hed be a complete ass. Haha i hate it when celebs say at award ceremonies Oh and id Like to thank God.... Well yeah he supossedly made you win, and about 4 others lose.

lol. Thant's awesome. He also answered one cancer patient's prayers but ignored those of 50 others......He is a very selective god for sure.

15. RE: Opinions on Religion?

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Belief in an interventionist god is to accept that said god is either lazy, apathetic, sadistic or all of the above.

16. cdu avatar cdu

Re: Opinions on Religion?

Wed, May 9, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I'm a Christian.
    I believe in God because of the teachings and the life of Christ.

17. cdu avatar cdu

Thu, May 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Here's some insight into religion from Fieldy and Head:

Your text to link here...

18. cdu avatar cdu

Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:52 AM

More on religion from Fieldy

Your text to link here...

By the way, I know the other guys in Korn might have a different view on religion, I just thought since this is a KORN forum, it would be interesting to add some input from the guys.

19. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Fri, May 11, 2012 at 7:19 AM

I like the idea of religion. It makes a great story, but I don't really believe it. I don't think many good things have come from religion and a lot of bad things have seemed to (crusades is a good example). Kind of like communism I suppose, great idea, poor execution.

Get the latest from Korn!