Opinions on Religion?

Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM

So I'm curious of what you all feel about religion, or what you view. I thought this would be a interesting topic. Plus I wanna get to know some people on here.

Replies to This Posting

1. AJ* avatar AJ*

Re: Opinions on Religion?

Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Much like others I don't mind religion as long as it's not pushed on me or interferes with my life in any way. I'm a spiritual person but don't feel that I need to belong to an organized religion or worship a god of any kind. I could never belong to a religion anyway since I'm an inquisitive and rebellious person by nature. It's hard to have absolute faith in something if I find it to be flawed and hypocritical. And I've always had the thought that if a higher being did truly exist that he wouldn't be so vain as to need people to worship him or need constant praise.
    ----------
    "The creative person is both more primitive and more cultivated, more destructive, a lot madder and a lot saner, than the average person."

2. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM

God is dead.
    =============================
    my neck and hands are bound in lead

3. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Same as Pace.

Is this my overture,
    or obituary?

4. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Religion is a way to control primitive civilizations.
    God is man made concept.

feels like something...
    ...no, its nothing

5. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 11:19 PM

I became a Roman Catholic to honor my aunts death. Right now I believe that God does walk with me. All of these people who are so called saved need to get over themselves. You are not going to hell because you have sex, smoke a little weed, dance listen to metal and curse. Who says that Hell is not filled with judgmental hypocrites?
    Does it make me bad??

6. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 4:15 AM

*Bump* because I can.

Ah, religion. That most divisive of topics; where does one start?

Well, I would start by suggesting (correctly) that it is an outdated and primitive crutch that humans as a whole have not yet thrown away. It was ok when it was trying to explain where the sun went every night, who made the moon, and where rain came from, but we know these things now. Let's move on, shall we?

God as described in the Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism) almost certainly doesn't exist. He is a mess of bad logic and ill thought out concepts thrown together, in equal parts bigot, judge and raving sociopath. I pick on Yahweh as he is the most widely believed in deity, but don't get me wrong, Odin, Vishnu, and FSM are all equally improbable too.

But whatever, belief doesn't equal anything more right? Well, wrong. Most theists are probably nice people, sound people who are good humans. But the shocking lack of internal consistency has made them arrive at a bad conclusions (ie, God(s) exist), and same bad logical forethought can lead to things like ("It's ok to use my religion as a justification for the politcal agenda I'm promoting, which means it's ok for me to fly a plane into a building).

And don't even get me fucking started on creationism.

Long and short is this:

Religion is stupid, although mostly benign, but I'd still want a benign tumour removed if they found one in my head. If that tumour started telling me who I could sleep with and threatening me with eternal punishment if I didn't accept it, then I'm sure you'll agree, it would be a fucking bad thing.

7. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM

There's nothing wrong with the majority of religions that people follow. People are just looking towards something bigger than themselves, like a God, who can help them through the journey of their lives. There's nothing inherently wrong about that. The religion itself just helps give their beliefs structure. And structure itself isn't a bad thing. The preference of one doctrine over another doesnt matter because preferring one doctrine over another doesn't hurt themselves or anyone else, in any way. It's how the people use religion as their tool to justify raping, killing, verbally demeaning people for not having the same belief system, or to just be a plain jerk to non beleivers. In these cases it's not religion itself (unless one of their commandments blatantly calls for the obliteration, rape, etc of all non believers) but those individuals who are in the wrong.

I believe in God and in the Christian faith. I believe that it was an intelligent designer who brought something out of nothing. Bc lets face it atheists, how can something come from nothing. Even u guys have a hard time explaining that one. I believe God banged the big bang into life and made it possible for this galaxy to be where it is at today through his great mathematical powers =). The majority of scientists agree that there is more probability of life to not exist, through their calculations, than it is probable for life to have existed. For us to be as evolved as we are today not only does the earth have to sit on its axis to a precise mathematical degree but every single other aspect of the big bang, and all that ensued, had to precisely mathematically happen the way that it did. Otherwise gravitational pulls would be so out of whack the earth would've already crashed into another planet and the sun would have already raped everything else so the end result would be no life permitting conditions in the milky way. The point I'm trying to make is that the idea of our evolution itself helps the case for the existence of God. Only something so intelligent as a God could've allowed the pieces to fall as precisely as it did, and still does. And that's perdy darn awesome in my opinion!!

Photobucket

8. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 3:52 AM

I'll address you're points about religion itself, being seeing as you stepped into my home turf (science) I'll get that out of the way first:

Bc lets face it atheists, how can something come from nothing. Even u guys have a hard time explaining that one.

Actually not really, because no one worth their salt in the cosmology community will claim anything came from nothing. To undertand why you need to understand that 'nothing' doesn't actually exist, and nor could it. If we posit that before the Big Bang there still existed a system that obeyed the laws of physics, then energy would have existed. Thermodynamics states energy can't be destroyed so essentially you're stuck with it ad infinitum. This energy would have been at the lowest density state, vacuum energy. Vacuum energy still allows for virtual particles to exist, they appear in particle/anti-particle pairs, annihilate and then the energy is returned to the system. Baryon Asymmetry states that occasionally particles are not formed symmetrically, and so do not annihilate. All it takes is say, infinity, and the laws of quantum mechanics (in the case Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle) and eventually you will get a universe. I'd do the maths for you but I'm off out in a minute, so I'll post it later with my reply to your reply about religion itself.

The majority of scientists agree that there is more probability of life to not exist, through their calculations, than it is probable for life to have existed.

Actually they don't. Complex organic molecules and amino acids are some of the most common in the universe, and it's relatively easy for those to form self replicating nucleotide chains given the right catalyst. That's all life really is, self replicating nucleotide chains that by their structure allow for protein synthesis. No supernatural deities required.

For us to be as evolved as we are today not only does the earth have to sit on its axis to a precise mathematical degree but every single other aspect of the big bang, and all that ensued, had to precisely mathematically happen the way that it did.

Cart before the horse fallacy. We exist because those are the conditions that exist. Those condition don't exist just so we can exist.

The point I'm trying to make is that the idea of our evolution itself helps the case for the existence of God. Only something so intelligent as a God could've allowed the pieces to fall as precisely as it did, and still does.

Evolution requires 2 things; life that undergoes reproduction with variation, and and selective pressures. Again, no God required. We are a freak of 4.5 billion years of pressures on our genetics, nothing more. Yet we can understand this, and that makes us special.

9. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM

here's my religion:

Everything and everyone has purpose. If we didn't, we wouldn't exist. God and Satan are VERY real. Proof? There isn't any. Believe it, don't believe it, I doubt either one of them care either way. Many people say, "but..the bible is proof!" No, it isn't. No religion has proof that it either doesn't or does exist. Not even atheists can back up their own shit. It's all hear-say. Same with all the other organized religions. They can never back anything up. Why? Because there simply isn't any proof.

I said God and Satan are VERY real. I have no proof. It's simply just my beliefs on all of it. I believe there is a religion in each and every one of us. Not one, nor the other, is correct. Not even mine.

I just love believing in shit that can't or will never be proven.

"everything is wrong every time"

10. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Thanks for replying to my post misanthrope. What you said was interesting. In my view, God’s works, such as quantum mechanics are AWESOME and deserve to be studied. So you said to posit that energy existed before the big bang. Like a what if kinda deal. Thats ok. Posit whatever you want. It still doesn’t prove God doesn’t exist. Its just speculating about the universe’s beginnings. Energy is still a ‘something’ which raises the question, in many, where did this something come from, no matter how small it was. Even Steven Hawkings, who married quantum mechanics, believes the universe had a beginning. To have a beginning there has to be a cause in place for the effect/beginning to follow. Math, itself, is just part of the tools God used/uses to form life permitting conditions. Your right when u say “given the right catalyst”. Those catalyst don’t come around too many self replicating neclotides around our galaxy or for millions of miles around it, apparently. God has made it possible for those nucleotide chains to form eventually into animal, plant, and human life. So It is true that there is more probability for life not to exist than it is for life to have existed the way it does in our case. God isn’t limited by time or resources so it would make sense that we go through natural selection and all that. For me it’s just part of his design.

11. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM

d1rtytr@sh wrote:

Because you're a fucking moron.

12. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Bene Gesserit wrote:
    Thanks for replying to my post misanthrope.

No problem :)

What you said was interesting. In my view, God?s works, such as quantum mechanics are AWESOME and deserve to be studied.

We may differ on out philosphiocal outlooks but we at least agree on that.

So you said to posit that energy existed before the big bang. Like a what if kinda deal.

It's more of a an absolute fact kinda deal.

Thats ok. Posit whatever you want. It still doesn?t prove God doesn?t exist.

I'll be clear. I cannot prove God doesn't exist, moreover I'm not trying to. I can only refute specific claims that can be refuted with evidence. God's existence is a matter of faith, not evidence, and therefore I could not disprove it. I can state categorically that no God is needed for the universe or life to exist, but that doesn't mean God doesn't exist. Until there is evidence wither way I decline to comment on that matter, save for I am unconvinced by the claims of theism.

Its just speculating about the universe?s beginnings. Energy is still a ?something? which raises the question, in many, where did this something come from, no matter how small it was.

Energy, simply, is the capacity for mechanical work. It is not 'something' tangible but it does have the capability to become 'something' because energy and mass are interchangeable.

Even Steven Hawkings, who married quantum mechanics, believes the universe had a beginning.

The universe as a system, yes, but that beginning is fully explainable without invoking a god.

To have a beginning there has to be a cause in place for the effect/beginning to follow.

And that cause can be explained mathematically and physically with our current understanding of physics.

Math, itself, is just part of the tools God used/uses to form life permitting conditions.

Mathematics is just an abstract concept capable of explaining how things works.

Your right when u say ?given the right catalyst?. Those catalyst don?t come around too many self replicating neclotides around our galaxy or for millions of miles around it, apparently.

Actually clay is a perfect catalyst. Also, there is solid observation to support the hypothesis that life also did exist on Mars billions of years ago. Life is not a one off.

God has made it possible for those nucleotide chains to form eventually into animal, plant, and human life.

You see, this is where it gets messy. You believe in God so you will claim God as the cause, whereas these processes exist well enough without God.

So It is true that there is more probability for life not to exist than it is for life to have existed the way it does in our case. God isn?t limited by time or resources so it would make sense that we go through natural selection and all that. For me it?s just part of his design.

Well at least you're not a young earth creationist :D

13. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM

misanthrope wrote:
    d1rtytr@sh wrote:

Because you're a fucking moron.

You think calling me a moron makes you look smart? It just makes you look like an even bigger one.

I believe in things that cannot be proven because I CAN. It doesn't make me a moron because I think like that and don't have a thousand words to say otherwise. It's simple. You believe or you don't. Everything else in between is only hear say.

14. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

You think calling me a moron makes you look smart? It just makes you look like an even bigger one.

No, I don't think I'm smart. I do however know I'm smarter than you, because you're a fucking moron.

I believe in things that cannot be proven because I CAN. It doesn't make me a moron because I think like that and don't have a thousand words to say otherwise. It's simple. You believe or you don't. Everything else in between is only hear say.

No, everything in between is usually subject to observable, testable and falsifiable evidence.

15. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM

The world is so vastly complex that I think we'd be giving ourselves undue credit if we thought that any one of our systems to understand it (science, religion, math, philosophy, etc.) comes close to giving it justice.

The closest we've come is through science, a system that works by drawing and revising conclusions based on observation. Mostly, I think it's becasue the lines between what is correct and incorrect are much clearer, if not absolute, in this area of knowledge. Math is a purer area than science in that regard, but its purity comes from its ignorance of a lot of real-world context. And so its best use is as a quantitative enhancement for science, which is qualitative.

There is a lot that is unexplained, especially concerning human existence and the human mind/spirit. There is documented evidence that water particles act differently around different emotions, that we emit more atoms to an object just by observing it, etc. Science as it is now cannot give an explanation to these effects, nor can it give us meaning or ethics. Of course, meaning and ethics can be found elsewhere; in philosophy, in common sense and reason, in deliberate personal choice, etc. But religion has been a way of fulfilling that 'spiritual' need for the masses through spirituality. It also tries to describe reality in its own way, and some parts of what it claims are in correlation with science, while others aren't. I see religious scripts as a source of ancient knowledge that are to be considered and used as we see fit, but not taken as absolute word.

I want to point out that I see organized religion and spirituality as two different entities. Spirituality is pure, while religion is a way of distributing and enforcing it. Spirituality deals with understanding effects associated with humanity and nature that science hasn't explained, i.e; what the soul is, what God is. Religion is a set of rituals and ways of life that tries to bring good about, as dictated by its specific brand of spirituality.

Religion, especially organized religion rather than more self-oriented ones like Buddhism, has had its use as a social structure tool. It showed peasants the difference between right and wrong, it kept a working social hierarchy in place, acted as justification for war, it gave power to a select few to control the masses, and it also provided a way to give people basic education in some instances. But by definition, it's rigid and dogmatic, and doesn't bend to accommodate humanity's change and increasing complexity. It's outdated at this point and does more harm than good.

Spirituality and religion can be beautiful ideas that help people and societies grow and develop. But they are also very powerful, and as people tend to be abusive idiots, they get misused. Religion turns into a hammer for people to bash one another's skulls in, as they have always done, only this time with moral conviction on their side. Until we as a species improve to the point where we can ALL be open-minded and sensitive about our beliefs, we can't be trusted with it.

16. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM

There is documented evidence that water particles act differently around different emotions, that we emit more atoms to an object just by observing it, etc.

Not according to any academic peer review publications I can find. Could you link to the source?

17. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM

No, I don't think I'm smart. I do however know I'm smarter than you, because you're a fucking moron.

You're not smart. You're an arrogant cunt. It isn't that hard to be smarter than a moron, which you aren't, you're dumber than one but just go on believing you are smarter anyways, if it makes you sleep at night. Dipshit.

No, everything in between is usually subject to observable, testable and falsifiable evidence.

Yes. Everything in between is hearsay. Which is what you pretty much just came back at me with.
    Fucking hysterical.

18. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM

d1rtytr@sh wrote:
    You're not smart. You're an arrogant cunt. It isn't that hard to be smarter than a moron, which you aren't, you're dumber than one but just go on believing you are smarter anyways, if it makes you sleep at night. Dipshit.

That literally made no sense.

Yes. Everything in between is hearsay. Which is what you pretty much just came back at me with.
    Fucking hysterical

Evidence, by definition, is not hearsay. Learn to critically think, dumb dumb.

19. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM

For the water phenomenon:

Dr. Masaru Emoto has worked with water, and observed it changing when people evoked strong emotion by it. His work has been largely controversial. Here is his work as published in Explore Journal .

His work is more casually explained in this article.

This article talks informally about some of the older research in the area.

And finally, here are some concise visuals of the results at the top.

20. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I made a mistake in the atom phenomenon. In that case, observation causes more atoms from the object to be emitted to YOU. It's one example of the observer effect, which is still largely a mystery to us. The fact that observation alone can affect reality is largely agreed on at this point, though we're no closer to understanding HOW or WHY this happens.

I'm sure a lot of research is going on about this, so I won't bother looking it all up and linking it. But here is an article that discusses this a little in general.

Newsletter Signup