SPEED OF LIGHT BARRIER BROKEN

Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Speed of Light Barrier Broken!
Posted by Maoist Rebel News on 2011 09 24

A tremendous scientific breakthrough has been made in the field of physics. According to Albert Einstein and confirmed by many, many scientists after him, nothing can surpass the speed of light. However, we now know from experiments conducted at Cern, that that is incorrect. The people working at Cern have discovered that neutrinos can in fact pass the speed of light.

“Neutrinos sent through the ground from Cern toward the Gran Sasso laboratory 732km away seemed to show up a tiny fraction of a second early…

The team prepares a beam of just one type, muon neutrinos, sending them from Cern to an underground laboratory at Gran Sasso in Italy to see how many show up as a different type, tau neutrinos.

In the course of doing the experiments, the researchers noticed that the particles showed up a few billionths of a second sooner than light would over the same distance.

The team measured the travel times of neutrino bunches some 15,000 times, and have reached a level of statistical significance that in scientific circles would count as a formal discovery.”

- BBC

This absolutely fantastic breakthrough will challenge and make it necessary to rewrite every thing we learned about physics for the last century. If this can be proven without a shadow of a doubt, it will send the entire scientific world into debate. This is an amazing time to be alive in science.

On a personal note, I’d like to share this information with the anti-atheist community. Some times those against atheism say that without the belief in God there is no sense of awe and wonder. This sense of awe and wonder can be found right here in science. That is what I feel here right now. This means time travel is now theoretically possible, whereas it was impossible before.

That’s right, suck it Hawkings. I saw your BBC series Into The Universe where you said time travel was impossible.

This is going to change the way we see everything. This has the potential to change many technologies that we have now. This could change internet speeds. This is a great time to be studying science.

GO FUCKING APESHIT!!!! The implications of this are HUUUUGE!

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: SPEED OF LIGHT BARRIER BROKEN

Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Maybe Korn can write a bad song about it.
    =============================
    my neck and hands are bound in lead

2. RE: Re: SPEED OF LIGHT BARRIER BROKEN

Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM

austin wrote:
    Maybe Korn can write a bad song about it.

Why won't Eistein's theories just leave me alone!?

-----------------------------------------

3. Re: SPEED OF LIGHT BARRIER BROKEN

Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Holding onto string theory...
    Accelerating velocity...

4. Re: SPEED OF LIGHT BARRIER BROKEN

Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM

In my Astronomy class we watched a video like that. It stated time travel to the future was possible if we could get to 90% of the speed of light. However, time travel to the past was impossible because of paradox. Neutrinos are amazing things! If we can figure how to more efficiently harvest them, Score! Great board, ADandelion.
    mlukec

5. Re: SPEED OF LIGHT BARRIER BROKEN

Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:00 PM

but on a serious note, we should catch some neutrinos and rule the world.

6. Re: SPEED OF LIGHT BARRIER BROKEN

Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 2:24 PM

We do have an incredibly tough time catching neutrinos. Last semesters Astronomy professor said that they might go weeks and only get one. This semesters Astronomy professor, who also teaches physics, has doubts about the calculations that make up the chance for error in the Speed of Light thing. We shall see; it is still cool. "Impossibru!"
    mlukec

7. Re: SPEED OF LIGHT BARRIER BROKEN

Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:47 AM

I went to a conference at a local hotel where the people who worked on the experiment showcased their setup, procedure and results. Most of the presentation went over my head, what they're basically saying is 'this is the result of the experiment, we can find no detectible mistakes, it will have to be redone, and insofar we draw no conclusions and make no attempt to interpret the data'.

Room was filled with the physic faculty, and they were all asking questions, trying to shoot the experiment down. There seems to be no fault with the procedure itself. To verify the results, an independent accelerator will need to be built, and that's not a viable option at the moment.

What's more likely is that the accelerator's capacities will be tested thoroughly to ensure it's recording and feeding the computers good data. Then the original experiment will be performed as a series of trials, becasue the current experiment only had one, with a 13% significant error.

But yeah. As of now, pretty much every physicist on the planet is calling bullshit. I'll be on the edge of my seat, seeing how this all works out. Very exciting stuff.

8. Re: SPEED OF LIGHT BARRIER BROKEN

Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 4:19 AM

mlukec wrote:
    In my Astronomy class we watched a video like that. It stated time travel to the future was possible if we could get to 90% of the speed of light.

Einstein, and every physicist in the world since Einstein, would disagree. The closer to relativistic speeds you get the slower time passes for you. It doesn't mean you travel into the future, it just means time passes more slowly for you than it would relative to a stationary observer.

Although technically you can travel into the future at any speed. I'm doing it right now.

Though with regards to the Gran Sasso experiment. I call error in calculations.

9. Re: SPEED OF LIGHT BARRIER BROKEN

Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 7:27 AM

To put it simply and to agree with misanthrope, you cannot travel faster than the speed of light.
    If the ship you are traveling is moving at a speed of 299 792 458 m / s and you then decide to walk forwards inside your ship you would theoretically be moving 299 792 459 m / s which is not possible.

The idea is that time inside your ship becomes slower than on the outside because physics will not allow you to go faster than the limit.

At least, this is what Stephen Hawking describes and he is a far smarter man than any of us, so I'll have to agree with him.

mlukec wrote:
    In my Astronomy class we watched a video like that.

It wasn't a video made by the History or Discovery Channels was it? These channels are about as educational as watching a homeless man slap his penis into the face of a dog.
    It's as if Michael Bay was commissioned to make an educational documentary about seal hunting. It would just be full of explosions and car chases and have about as much intellectual value as a box of cornflakes.

Get the latest from Korn!