Does anyone else miss dial-up internet?

Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Hear me out.

This is something I've been dwelling on lately. Not to the extent where I lie in bed, staring at the ceiling all night, but the thought is there. I have problem with the easy file access of broadband, compared to the uphill struggle that came with dial-up.

Broadband is all well and good. I don't dislike it. But there was a sense of achievement that came with dial-up that I simply don't get with broadband. There's just no payoff.

It was like this: you'd start downloading a file, it'd crawl along at a snail's pace, but you kept waiting. "98%... almost done..." Then someone picks up the phone and disconnects you. "FUCK!" Download cancelled. Start from scratch. This would happen somewhat consistently as you tried to download... whatever you were trying to download. MP3s from Kazaa, Morpheus or Audio Galaxy, or a flash animation from Newgrounds, perhaps. Some fucker would pick up the phone, or try and call you while you were online, and it'd ruin everything. It took forever, but once you did get those files on dial-up, it felt like a hard-earned prize. A successful download was something to behold. Dial-up gave you a reason to get up in the morning.

Okay, I slightly exaggerated the implications of dial-up downloading with my "reason to get up in the morning" remark, but I hope you'll understand the sentiment. With Broadband, everything is readily and conveniently available. We download entire movies, TV shows like clockwork. I know people who fill entire hard drives with music and movies and in a matter of months, they're bored with it all. It's normal, and we don't really think anything of it. Like I said, there's no payoff.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Does anyone else miss dial-up internet?

Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 2:56 AM

I know what you are talking about. I remember when I had dial up with AOL! It was like you had the phone sounds down pat. You knew if it was going to work just by the dialing sound! I always hated that damn crunch ring sound. I know huh? You did feel quite like the Master Power Dial up King or Queen from Hell though! It amazes me on how impatient people can be. They are all rushing the computer. Not me I let it take it's time! I just had to reply to this! I'm with ya on this one FuuuriousAnger!

2. Re: Does anyone else miss dial-up internet?

Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 5:32 AM

Nice to know someone is on the same page. Although technology does have its limits (download limits, Internet connection dropping), it's all very rushed, like you say.

3. Re: Does anyone else miss dial-up internet?

Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 6:22 AM

No not me I hated that shit if u wanted to watch a video u have to wait and wait or if u wanted to download something it takes FOREVER!! lol, U spend more of your time waiting for the computer to load everything, then when someone wants to get on your still waiting or whatever you are loading or someone else is waiting for a call so u have to get off its really annoying, its more of a hassle really, its so much easier now days

4. Re: Does anyone else miss dial-up internet?

Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Indeed, but the satisfaction after something did download was just... so cool!

It seems most of my friends I've discussed this with are in the same boat as you. They say to me, "Um... no, I don't miss fucking dial-up. Are you kidding?"

5. Re: Does anyone else miss dial-up internet?

Wed, May 7, 2014 at 6:47 AM

That's an interesting take on nostalgia. It was an accomplishment of mine when I got 30 seconds of the A.D.I.D.A.S. video - with no sound - in 96 or 97.

6. Re: Does anyone else miss dial-up internet?

Fri, May 9, 2014 at 5:46 AM

Exactly! So different from today, where seeing a music video is now standard fare. When I had dial-up, and downloads took forever, it was a treat when either Korn music videos would download (even small snippets) or be released in DVD format, like the Deuce video.

Newsletter Signup