First play date with metal band?

Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 10:54 AM

What was the first metal or rock band you heard that made you a forever metal/rock lova'?

Mine was Collective Soul. First heard them when I was 8. This inevitably lead to BLACK SABBATH soon after :D---

Photobucket

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: First play date with metal band?

Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM

the very first band I ever listened to was Styx. Eventually though I started to listen to Van Halen, Bon Jovi and all that 80s stuff and I slowly went heavier from that point.
    "you see beauty, I see pain, you see sky, and I see acid rain"

2. Re: First play date with metal band?

Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Heard Nirvana in elementary school becasue my parents owned the MTV History compliation... then early on in middle school, Dad bought SOAD's full discography. Life has never been the same since.

3. Re: First play date with metal band?

Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM

The first two bands were Metallica and Aerosmith

¡PIU AVANTI!

Do like God who never cries;
    or like Lucifer, who never prays;
    or like the oak grove, that in its greatness
    needs water but does not plea
    May it bite and clamor vengeful,
    rolling in the dust, your head!

---

4. Re: First play date with metal band?

Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I think the first time I was aware of hard rock or metal was when I was 7. I was flipping through channels on tv and came across a music video for Ratt "Round and Round". I remember digging the music and then mom walked in and scurried to change the channel yelling "What in the world are you watching?".

6th grade I started liking Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Cinderella, Motley Crue and Poison but I could only listen at my friend's house. Mom and Dad weren't gonna shell out any bucks for that LOL Finally was allowed to have a copy of Slippery When Wet after my parents looked over the liner notes from a friend's copy.

8th grade I found 2 cassettes in my dad's car: GnR's Appetite For Destruction and Metallica's ...And Justice For All, evidence in a shoplifting case. So, I helped myself to those.

Junior year discovered Nirvana, NIN, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Primus, Pantera etc... Graduated, moved back to the states and was looking forward to some real MTV after 4yrs without it. White Zombie, Tool, Korn... Headbangers Ball was the best.

5. Re: First play date with metal band?

Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 8:27 PM

my first heavy band was system of a down, i grew up with them. [i DVR'd the chop suey video when i was 7 or 8 and watched it every day after school :)]

6. Re: First play date with metal band?

Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 8:01 AM

raven wrote:
    my first heavy band was system of a down, i grew up with them. [i DVR'd the chop suey video when i was 7 or 8 and watched it every day after school :)]

Ah,cool...have you heard Richard Cheese's version?

7. Re: First play date with metal band?

Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Honestly, it was Korn that brought me into the rock/metal genre. Before them, I just listened to orchestra music.

8. Re: First play date with metal band?

Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM

tportnoy wrote:
    raven wrote:

Ah,cool...have you heard Richard Cheese's version?

yeppers:)

9. Re: First play date with metal band?

Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Lamb of God , God Forbid and Shadows Fall all made me truly appreciate metal.
    Does it make me bad??

Newsletter Signup