Why did Korn name themselves after a German liquor?

Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM

There is no doubt which came first; the German korn has been around since the 1500s.
So why did korn (the band) name themselves after a German variation of vodka?
Is it because the band were all alcoholics or did they just really like the name?

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Why did Korn name themselves after a German liquor?

Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Alcoholism, obviously.

2. Re: Why did Korn name themselves after a German liquor?

Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM

That's pretty said.
    They could have called themselves something better like, 'Schnapps' or 'Alcopop'.

3. Re: Why did Korn name themselves after a German liquor?

Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

The who Then Now video interviews says that it just came to Jonathan's head and he suggested the name, and they all liked it. There have been many rumors about why the word "corn" it came to his head. In the 90's one rumor was the most common. It is not talked about as much these days, but in the "follow the leader" days, it was the talk of the town. I would tell it the story, but it is really gross, and it might get a "flag as inappropriate".
    But they spelled it with a K and backwards R to make it look like a child wrote it, since the 1st album was about Jonathan's childhood.
    I never heard anything about the vodka. For some reason I think that it wasn't named after than, since they were poor when they started and most likely drank shitty cheap local booze.

4. Re: Why did Korn name themselves after a German liquor?

Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Pedantry aside, I'm still voting alcoholism.

5. Re: Why did Korn name themselves after a German liquor?

Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

They could have had thematic nicknames. KoRn, PotEItoE, beiiT, grAYn n mol-AsseS.

Newsletter Signup