KoRn Discrimination

Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 3:27 PM

How do you feel when people criticize your taste in Listening to Korn? It seems Korn (band) gets bashed frequently for some of these reasons:

- Metal fans dislike them cause they're not Metal enough
- Hip-Hop fans dislike them cause they're not Hip-hop enough
- The term Mallcore freqently used..
- or they use the excuse that they are for teenagers to listen to..!?

its fucking annoying. Korn is here to stay, I don't see myself not stopping anytime soon from listening to them (im 23)

What are your feelings on Korn bashing?? and where do you think all the hate came from..?
It feels like something...no, it's nothing

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: KoRn Discrimination

Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 4:08 PM

hahaha i feel the same!

before me and my gf were together, she asked me what do i listen to mostly, and I answered KoRn...
    and she replied "oh, KoRn. You still listen to them. Cool I used to listen them when I was 13"
    and I was like -.-

:P

2. Re: KoRn Discrimination

Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:12 PM

When they started out I was a little older than a lot of my friends that were jammin on ko®n. I really was not a fan....at all. Shoots and ladders was just weird to me. I cant really say why, I do remember saying to these younger friends "they just used nursery rimes cant they come up with their own stuff" or some such foolishness. Years later Blind got me hooked, this has only grown to the point I listen to nothing but ko®n literally! Looking back I can not come up with a reason that I did not like them. It was new, it was strange, and I was a die hard Metallica fan! Now I cant stand Metallica, I dont even really like the old ones that were "good" James' voice just dont compare to JD and I cant stand to here him sing! Its a very strange situation when you dont like a band because they are not what your used to, and years later you cant stand the sound of the first band because the one that you did not like sounds SO great! I wish i could answer better about where the hate comes from, for I feel I have a unique prospective to give. I wont really say i was a hater or "basher" of ko®n. I did not go around speaking trash just to be speaking. But if asked, I would most often give a negative response about ko®n. I recently made the comment to a friend that back then "I just didnt get it, and now I do" though to be honest I'm not sure I completely understand the comment I had made! The best thing I can come up with is they just dont get it. LIke I used to not get it. And so you know, now, Shoots and ladders is fucking awesome! All them nursery rimes had meanings. Thats why they even exist to begin with. And ko®n brought that back to a newer generation. Well to any that know the meanings of them i.e ring around the rosie altho rejected by some, others believe this was about the black plague where millions died and it was practice to put flowers in the pockets of the dead to help with the smell of the decomposing bodies. Is it true I surly dont know but it is what i have always believed. The way it was explained to me made since to me so it stuck. Off track, I do that...there will always be haters for everything everywhere.
    They just dont get it!!!!

As for how I feel about others bashing them now. It happend to me not long ago on an online game by a few kids. And I was PISSED! They were talking crap just to be talking. But I maintained maturity and simply said "shhhh children" and went on with my day, jamming to ko®n to take the hurt of their words away

They just dont get it, FUCK UM!

3. Re: KoRn Discrimination

Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Burnt KoRn wrote:

I can relate. I didn't like Korn the first time I heard them. I was into "gangsta rap." A couple of years later, I started going back to my metal roots. My friend played the "Follow the Leader" album for me and it was like, "Holy Shit!!! This music belongs in my soul!" I mean it was lot's of crazy heavy riffs and it had Ice Cube. I just completely fell in love with them and the 7 string sound. Now I love all their old stuff. I'm not as big of a fan since Head left but SYOTOS was pretty good. The new album sounds awesome too.

4. Re: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 6:20 AM

I personally can't tolerate it when people I know bash Korn. I will keep my mouth shut out of respect of their opinion,I'm the only one in my group of friends who is really into them.
    For example I have a friend who just got into Korn last year (I tried to introduce him to Korn a few years before, but he wasn't interested). With the upcoming album he claims that it isn't Korn. Mainly due to the fact that there is less of Fieldy's bass and that it's dubstep. I simply kept my mouth shut and told him 'Okay so and so, whatever you say.'
    Your throat I take grasp.
    Then your eyes roll back.
    Love racing through my veins.

5. Re: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 7:04 AM

its called nu metal, a perfect in between. Created by korn and for korn and only korn. they are the only 1s that fit the description.

6. Re: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Well if Korn lyrics teaches fans anything it is to be yourself and not care what people think. SO it doesn't matter when people talk shit. What I find way more annoying is people who show up at their shows who aren't even fans, just want to get drunk be in a most pit. They are rude, looking for fights, and talk during the performance. One dude seriously told me to "shut the fuck up" for singing along to a song while he was talking to his friend. There seems to be a lot more of these people at Korn shows than there used to be.

7. Re: KoRn Discrimination

Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM

What I find way more annoying is people who show up at their shows who aren't even fans, just want to get drunk be in a most pit. They are rude, looking for fights, and talk during the performance.

This +100000

Last night at Roseland the real Korn fans were at the M&G. Just like u said on the floor it was all these mooks who just wanna get wasted, mosh and cause a fucking scene. Same as metallica shows. They just wanna do the same thing when "real" fans want to enjoy the music and see them with out some asshole drunk in front of them slamming into them. Hell last night this guy behind me was verbally torturing his girl to the point she was gonna cry. Like why have relationship drama at a fucking show. Take it outside. I had all my signed shit in this little carry bag and some rube spilled beer on the top of it. got lucky and it did not leak in.

Then again (No offense anyone) you get the as we say in the boroughs....the "Bridge and Tunnel" crowd. But the trashiest ones.

Luckily Sunday I got a seat stage left in line with the stage so I can enjoy it more then.
    www.seanydiesel.com
    http://www.seanydiesel.com/munky.htm
    www.myspace.com/centrifuse
    www.twitter.com/sean106OCD

8. Re: KoRn Discrimination

Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Korn complete changed music when they emerged in the 90s. They do not fit any genre so the term " rap metal or nu metal" was created for them. Other bands and artists to this day still emulate their style and sound regardless. To me they are like the Lil Wayne ( who is a friend of the band) of hip hop. His style is always imitated but, no one can tear it up like he can. The same goes for Korn.

People talk crap about Korn to me all the time. I just roll my eyes because these are the same people buying up all the tickets to the shows standing there dumbfounded when a song is played like Proud .
    Does it make me bad??

9. Re: KoRn Discrimination

Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 1:00 AM

I feel numb to it. I listen to what I want to listen to, not what someone else tells me to listen to or what may be the flavor of the week. I can make up my own mind.

Let them bash, it is a waste of time to try and talk sense to someone who downs another because of their creativity. It's ironic, usually people who are bashing do not have one creative bone in their body.

the hate is coming from jealousy and envy. to listen to them bash is beyond insanity, they are fools if they think I will listen to what they want me to listen to, like I said, I can make up my own mind on what I love or dislike. Having someone try to tell me what to love or not like is ridiculous.

10. Re: KoRn Discrimination

Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM

it annoys the shit out of me
    so all i tell them is
    "why do you care what i listen to anyways"
    KornHivGurl

11. RE: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I have been listening to Korn for half my life. No joke. And I have been hearing people talk down aboot Korn for just as long. None of my closest friends are into Korn, and if they ever were, it was just to humor me, I think. I used to get defensive and try and justifly my love of Korn, like I would any family member or friend.
    Anyhoo, for as long as there has been Korn, there has been Korn haters, and the same goes for any band. No one seems to be universally loved (except for Wyld Stallyns), but us Korn fans can smile because its like we know something that the rest of the world doesn't know.

12. RE: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Korn is a band where, for many people, the listening value comes from emotional attachment.

For that emotional attachment to happen, one needs to accept some facts about the band; that they do not pride themselves on virtuosity, that the lyrics are fairly childish, that they do not always take themselves seriously, etc.

Lack of acceptance of said characteristics, the rejection of the band's imperfections rather than enjoyment of them, results in scorn. I myself still can't enjoy most of Korn's lyrics simply becasue I find them to be simplistic and clumsy for the most part.

Having said that, for many people Korn is a gateway band to a certain type of sound, and it becomes that band at a young and vulnerable point in their lives. Then their tastes mature, develop, change, and they leave behind the part of their lives where they needed and craved Korn's sound and influence. Korn becomes a source of shame, a reminder of a young past self that the person doesn't like looking back on. Hence, 'Yeah, I thought ST was cool... when I was in middle school.'. Nu metal is dead, and Korn was its figurehead, whether it liked it or not.

And there is, of course, the plethora of people who quite simply dislike them.

13. RE: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Is this the wrong thread to state I think Korn suck balls?

14. RE: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:34 AM

les guste o no,KoЯn es metal,y no entiendo por que tanto rollo,solo es una banda normal,cualquier otra banda puede aser lo que KoЯn no igual,pero a su estilo,la verdad,solo molestan por que no quieren aser algo de sus vidas o simplemente son unos trolls de los cojones XD LOOOOOOOL no ya,que simples,todas o la mayoria de las canciones de korn son muy buenas,como ball tounge,blind,need to,clown,twist,y mejor aqui paro por que me aburrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrro.

15. RE: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I'm about to shed some light on this whole situation- STANDBY

I used to be a die hard PUBLIC ENEMY fan (hip hop) and I was attracted to their delivery, powerful lyrics and the HARD bass in their beats. I was all about the underground hip hop artist and lyrics were everything to me. I would listen to underground radio stations and only watch underground music video shows. I hated mainstream hip hop.

One special day, a ray of light shined down on my television as I was pouring a drink. I started to drink my juice when my heart started to beat to the sound of this bass I heard coming from the television. I followed the sound and fell to my knees at the sight of this sexy white guy with dreadlocks and a oversize Adidas track suit on. lol Just kidding, it was something like that...

I went to get a drink and when I came back to my television, the video for BLIND was on and I was immediately blown away. Since then EVERY album has taken me on a journey that I don't want to end.

Korn has never been hated with in the hip hop community because the attitude is there, the delivery is there and the style is there! Korn is respected by the hip hop community that's why they had Rappers in their early music and videos. The current hip hop scene is heavily influenced by rock music and style. Korn is forever baby! and people hate to love them!

Keep Bangin!

16. RE: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 9:27 AM

As for the other haters,

They were too young to know who Korn was back in the 90s and now that they are old enough to go to shows they want to see what they've been missing all of these years. The other haters "used to be a fan" have what I like to call "Peter Pan Syndrome" they don't want to GROW THE FUCK UP!!

Keep Bangin!

17. RE: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I contest that the reason I'm no long a fan is because I have grown the fuck up. I no longer have to vicariously address my emotions through others, especially not at the level of immaturity contained in your average Korn lyric.

18. RE: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM

misanthrope wrote:
    Is this the wrong thread to state I think Korn suck balls?

Wow! I have been mystified, KoRn has rocked my world hard, the love I have for Jonathan alone has perplexed me, I am drawn to this man, you gave the answer! I SUCK FUCKING BALLS TOO! koRn and I are not unevenly yoked-gosh I need to go celebrate I am not perplexed any longer.

I LOVE YOU JONATHAN/KORN!
    "Men are not the only ones who love Hummers"

I love you Kashmir!

19. RE: KoRn Discrimination

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM

kfan78 wrote:
    As for the other haters,

They were too young to know who Korn was back in the 90s and now that they are old enough to go to shows they want to see what they've been missing all of these years. The other haters "used to be a fan" have what I like to call "Peter Pan Syndrome" they don't want to GROW THE FUCK UP!!

Keep Bangin!

I have never been a hater. When I seen KoRn back in the 90's, opening band for Ozzy, I was so flipping high out of my mind. Meth only allows you to be focused on what you desire (or least this was my experience when I was using). I was so geared towards Ozzy, but one thing I do remember, the energy, the energy KoRn put off-fans were reflecting it. . I cannot wait to see them again! (You are right I did miss a lot, not because of hate, I have not been in my right mind-I am now, I found home). *sniff, sniff*

Is that what NO. has Peter Pan Syndrome? If so GROW UP AND GO FIND ANOTHER PLAY GROUND!

"Men are not the only ones who love Hummers"

I love you Kashmir!

20. RE: KoRn Discrimination

Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Wind Dancer wrote:
    Is that what NO. has Peter Pan Syndrome? If so GROW UP AND GO FIND ANOTHER PLAY GROUND!

Reading comprehension is not your strong point, is it?

Get the latest from Korn!