Your final verdict on Paradigm Shift

Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Sup, yo.

We've had a few weeks to take in the album (hopefully multiple times) and come up with our final judgement of Paradigm Shift. What do you think?

For me, I'm well aware that every album they put out is different, but this one stands out the most - even more than Korn II (Untitled). The reason for that is because they have a consistent "sound" that's apparent in all albums except (slightly) in this one: random guitar melodies/sounds, heavy guitar, clicky bass that's loud in the mix, hippity-hop drumming, slowish pace, and strange vocal melodies. Paradigm Shift does away with most of these and goes head-first "alternative rock/metal" like Disturbed or Papa Roach. I could go on, but I'll save it for my review of all albums video.

Anyway, I was initially disappointed, but have grown to liking it like most of their albums. I still don't like how mainstream/generic and overproduced it generally sounds and how every chorus launches up like some Katy Perry shit, but I accept it for what it is. Ray's drumming is also a slight weak point in some songs, but it fits with the overall sound. The thing he does in "Love and Meth" certainly kicks ass. Songs could have been better (in my opinion), but whatever. I like it. It has plenty of songs that just get stuck in my head for days (especially "Wish I Wasn't Born Today" and is a fun, energetic jam. If I ranked all the albums, it would probably sit somewhere in the middle. I'd say my favourite song is "Paranoid & Aroused".

wbu?

Be detailed, now.

p.s. cool site update

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Your final verdict on Paradigm Shift

Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Don Gilmore did an amazing job producing it in my opinion. He really brought out the raw anger, emphasized on classic Korn sounds (distortion) and chemistry between Head and Munky. With only subtle electronic touches that make the entire album refreshing, relevant and old-school at the same time! As for being "mainstream/generic" that award would go to See You On the Other Side album. I rank it between Follow The Leader-The Paradigm Shift-Untouchables.

Get the latest from Korn!