Poverty and Alternative Rock

Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I've read online somewhere that their is a correlation between alternative rock music and listeners. Stating the finance level of income is somewhere between low-middle class with a minimal of high/wealthy individual listeners. What do you think of this?

I know this is a sweeping generalization, but most alternative-rock (or nu-metal) lyrics are usually about grim situations, mental health issues, political rebellion and negative+positive aspects of surviving society. I'm sorry I cannot find the study (link). Pop music focuses on materialistic topics and egocentric-carefree lifestyles that correlate along side rich-wealthy individuals.

Low-Middle income | Middle income | Middle-High income | High-Wealthy income

You don't have to answer this question, but I will anyway. I would put myself in the Low-middle (more or less working class/poor) category of alt-rock (Korn) listener.

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Poverty and Alternative Rock

Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I've been in the low-middle income bracket most of my life, though I'll admit I'm doing much better now than I did when I was little. I remember times when my mother wouldn't eat dinner because she was "just not hungry," or would have to sell some of her things just to feed me and my sister. I too resonate with alternative rock/metal bands, for the lyrical subject matter you've described. Although, I love many kinds of music, including some hip-hop where they boast about sex, cars, jewelry and whatnot. Sometimes I like lyrics just for their rhythm, flow and/or storytelling.

I have friends who come from money and love alternative rock, especially for its social commentary, but for the most part I'd agree that it resonates more with those from lower and middle income backgrounds.

The correlation between music and listener may be a generalisation, but it gives us something to think about!

2. RE: Poverty and Alternative Rock

Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM

well said! ^

Low-Middle income

Get the latest from Korn!