Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I've heard so many people say this. Some people say that Korn started to go downhill after "Life is Peachy" and some people say that the first two albums were good and everything past that sucked. Why do you think this is? I for one like all of their albums, and am confused when people say things like that.

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I love all of them and I´m really looking forward to the next album!

Which one I listen to depends on my mood for the moment.

If I feel vulnerable and fragile (I sometimes do) then I listen to the first two albums, to take some of that rawness with me.

2. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I do love the first two albums, but honestly I love every single korn song ever put out. I always listen to an album cover to cover. It helps me appreciate the music on a whole new level.
    -Alex-

3. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 3:33 AM

KoЯn and Life is Peachy are really really RAW
    but regardless *Untouchables* is still my BEST favorite

4. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Everyone has their favorite albums, some albums have more better songs than others . . . but come on, I think all the albums are fucking fantastic. It is KORN we're talking about here.
    "If you think this is about you, it probably is . . . "
    -the paranoid feeling everyone gets.

5. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered

Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Untitled was a great album, and I don't understand the dislike for it.

This is just my opinion on Untitled being a die hard KoRn fan. I feel they took a direction I personally did not like. Typical as most bands like Metallica when have achieved so much success start to deviate from the formula that works. Not enough "KoRn" riffs and more experimental and synth shit (sorry hate synth stuff as in their recent concerts the synth is more audible then the fucking guitars) Frankly the only songs I like off that is Killing and Evolution. Why? Killing has a killer riff and Evolution has great melodies (but sounds better live....see below).

Evolution Live 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lunMXvBMpOs

Korn III I like maybe 3-4 songs off it but they are the ones that are almost strictly guitars,bass,drums and Vox; with killer riffs of course.....Fear is my fav.

Still gotta plug it............. although most disagree is that Untouchables is their masterpiece even though only a few songs work live. I just feel Untouchables has some great riffs and even the mellow songs (when they started introducing the synth stuff) sound great to me.

Sorry forgot to add. Why do people think they started the rap/rock scene? I dunno about you but I never heard JD rapping really. It was more Limp Shitzkit that started rapping over poor riffs. KoRn has their own sound that no one can replicate. It still amazes me how JD can sing live so well and just like the album versions after 20 years. Not like Hetfield of Metallica who is my idol, his voice has changed so much over the years. Guess everyone is different. :)

Just my onions. :)
    www.seanydiesel.com
    http://www.seanydiesel.com/munky.htm

6. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I dont think its that they went downhill, i just think its that their first two albums were so raw, and just had that emotional vibe that could grasp your heart (not saying their other albums dont, its just that you could better feel jons emotion, you could hear it) and then they started growing as musicians and i think people were stubborn about them just being heavy and when they started portraying the emotion differently, people were pissed. i dont know why, i mean they did have some bumps in the road, but almost everything is fucking awesome

7. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Back in '94 when Korn first came out you rarely had bands that touched upon subjects like Daddy etc. Then in'96 you had Marylin Manson making it huge with AC Superstar,Pantera's "Great Southern Trendkill",Slayers "Undisputed Attitude", the disappointment of waiting 6 years for a Metallica album only to get "Load" and Sepulturas "Roots". Among those albums was another dark and heavy one called "Life Is Peachy" by Korn which touched upon subjects of wanting to kill your stepmother(which I never got along with mine and although I would never go that far I could relate to the song).
    So that for me personally is why the first 2 wre my favorite. By '98,'99 it seemed like every band was copying them yet had great albums. Issues and Follow the Leader didn't shine as much(at least for me) but I never stopped being a Korn fan one way or another.
    Who needs prozaic when there's rock n'roll?

8. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Without Korn there would be no

Linkin Park
    Papa Roach
    Adema
    Ect..
    It feels like something...no, it's nothing

9. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:02 AM

for me is like...

Untouchables
    Take a look in the mirror
    Issues
    Untitled
    Follow the leader
    KoRn
    KoRn III:Remember who you are
    See you on the other side
    Life is Peachy

yeap..... :P

10. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:52 AM

When I first heard ko®n I was not that big a fan. Didnt really like them to be honest. I had friends that were in to them hard core and said that they would never "sell out". The music started getting a little different and started to hit the radio due in part I'm sure to lax rules in what was allowed to be on the radio. This I think some miss took for "selling out". Just because people get older, see life differently, which for singers/bands that is reflected in their music. Does not mean they sold out. It simply means what it is, they got older and see life differently. But you cant explain this to the whole world at once! As I said lax laws by the FCC has allowed different subject matter and in some cases depending on the time of day harsher language. Allowing more of ko®n's music to be played, possibly giving the appearance of selling out to some. This is just a hypothesis. Maybe they just do not see the great music that I see. OR hear in this case.
    Just my opinion, but thats what you asked for

11. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Sat, May 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM

i asked the same thing, yu got to it first tho, im tryin ta find out mahself
    mah signature evilface >:)

12. RE: Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered

Sun, May 20, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Anomaly wrote:
    Without Korn there would be no

Linkin Park
    Papa Roach
    Adema
    Ect..

What a perfect world that would be.

Also, Issues is Korn's best album.

13. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I think a lot of people consider the first 2 albums KoRn's "best" because many of those same people haven't gave any of the newer albums a chance, either that or maybe they just like the sound that they had in the beginning.

14. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I cant think of anything that hasnt already been said.

For me the Self Titled is not only my favourite Korn album its also in my top 5 albums list.

Its the same as Slipknot's Self Titled, there is just something there that you just cant really explain.

15. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:32 PM

the first 2 albums are just raw and full of angry emotion that alot of troubled teens could relate to and have that personal connection with, follow the leader is also a pretty raw album with a slight diff sound and some heavier riffs, issues is easily their best produced album the whole album is a masterpeice, untouchables introduces more synth and experimental and lost some of that angry emotion that a lot of people missed, so they brought out take a look in the mirror, which is probs their heaviest album with alot of screaming, syotos went back to experimenting and was their softest album untill they brought out untitled which ended up going softer still, they wanted to make another return to their routes with korn III which is a good album that shew some emotion again but seemed to lach alot without heads guitar, then now youve got the dubstep which is their most expeirmental

its all down to personal taste, for all the people that got into korn as somthing to relate your troubled teens with will obv feel theyve gone downhill abit, while others prefer some of their softer more melodic stuff, for me their first 4 albums are their 'best'
    in the sea of life, your just a minnow,
    you live your life, insecure,
    i feel the pain, of your needles,
    as they shit, into my brain..

16. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 7:26 AM

i don't think korn ever went downhill. one of the things i look forward to most is "what will they do next?" if you listen to each of their albums, there's something that sets them aside from the others. i got into korn just before follow the leader and have looked forward to each release since. i'll never forget being a junior in high school listening to korn perform issues live at the apollo on the radio the night before the release. that was just an awesome experience... then when my pre-ordered copy arrived, it blew me away more. so dark... then you have the moments when they step back... like TALITM and Korn III. every so often they revisit what made us all love them in the first place, but then take their music to new and exciting places again just to keep us all guessing. there aren't many bands out there that i know i can buy a new album without hearing a single track and be pleased. i will say that POT took a couple of listens for me. i think just because it was so different from anything else. but the more i listened, the more i dug it and it really grew on me. i love the old korn. i love the new korn. i would still hold the first two on a pedestal just because of what those albums did to me by getting me listening to heavier shit. before then, i was still waving my grunge flag high.
    and we're not gonna stop for the pigs or no one!

17. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM

It's no secrete that Korn started to go in a different direction after Peachy and continued to do that their whole career after. The obvious answer is that the first two sound different from the rest of their albums, thus there are people who like that style better than other stuff Korn did. Jonathan started singing about the troubles of being famous in follow the leader and issue, something that fans have a harder time relating to than the lyrics of the 1st two albums.
    Also people who listen to albums when they first come out had more of a bias to that older stuff. I think newer fans who get all their albums the same day will feel less bias because they were introduced to it all the same time, no past connection with the older stuff.

18. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Because they where fresh?

19. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:35 PM

The first two albums are considered "the best" because they are the best. Everything after was overproduced to me. The first two were very raw, real so real I could feel it, honest. And probably theraputic for the band. Everything after seemed more precise and clean, still good. Just more user friendly for the masses. Is it just me on this? how many of you Korn fans out their who love the first two albums really miss the musical build up and the vocal explosions from JD that were in just about every song on the first two albums.

20. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM

They're all the best to me. Not sucking up. Just saying.

Path is on top right now. Bad fucking ass.

"Sometimes, I hate, the life, I made
    everything's wrong every time"

Get the latest from Korn!