Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I run a used media store. Today a guy came in with a poster signed by Corey, Chris & Clown of Slipknot. He wanted to sell it. I explained that rock autographs aren't worth anything because they are so easy to forge. I told him that he should keep it as personal memorabilia. Then he told me his story. He paid $20 for the little 11x17" "poster". He waited outside in freezing weather for 45 minutes to meet 3 random band members. When he got to the autograph table he was not allowed to talk to the guys or take any pictures. The three members scribbled their autographs for him and he was rushed back outside. He was so fed up that he said he doesn't want anything to do with Slipknot anymore and he gave me the poster. He said he was going to throw it away otherwise. WTF? The fans are what make these bands successful. Does KoЯn treat their fans like this? I've heard mixed stories. They were great to me but I was with radio station people. Any thoughts on this?

Replies to This Posting

1. Moderator

Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Hey Cob...actually this might not have been the band's fault. As you said he was in line for 45 minutes and if they are on a limited time crunch and had a conversation with every single fan, can you imagine how long that would take and if they were on limited time, not everyone would actually get to meet them at all. I have set up a Meet & Greet for Jonathan and we were on a limited time crunch...ergot, had to make sure to keep the line moving so that all of the fans get to meet him. Thankfully my situation allowed me a bit more time than his normal Meet & Greets so he was able to speak to the fans a bit more than a lot of his other Meet & Greets. I guarantee this is the case...I have heard that the guys from Slipknot are AWESOME with fans...so I would bet that this is what happened!

Korn treats their fans very very well!
    Administrator/Co-founder of KornRow.com

2. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Josie, it's "On the Cob" (Carl). I haven't been able to log in. This incident had all the markings of a money grab. Nothing would be signed except the little handbill that they had to pay $20 for. There was apparently no limit to the autograph seekers which would let Slipknot collect an extra $20 from a good portion of the fans instead of limiting the number so that everyone could have just a few seconds to say hi or snap a quick photo. Nothing else would be autographed, there was no talking to the band members and no photos. I know that bands have to off-set the drop in CD sales but at what cost?

3. Moderator

Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Same things happened at Mayhem...the bands are only allowed to sign certain things and you have to buy those certain things in order to get them signed. The one in 2010 you had to buy each of the bands CDs to get a "free" signature. I don't know the politics behind it, just that it happens from time to time. I've heard great things about meeting Slipknot though so I dunno.

4. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Josie wrote:
    Same things happened at Mayhem...the bands are only allowed to sign certain things and you have to buy those certain things in order to get them signed. The one in 2010 you had to buy each of the bands CDs to get a "free" signature. I don't know the politics behind it, just that it happens from time to time. I've heard great things about meeting Slipknot though so I dunno.

IDK either but they sure pissed this guy off. Finally able to sign in after a month!!!

5. Moderator

Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Welcome back Cob!!
    Moderator, Korn.com/JDevil.com

6. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Hi, I can only speak for Corey and Jim cause I had a M & G with Stone Sour and they were the sweetest guys ever. Unfortunately I was too overwhelmed to talk to them and I could still kick myself, but just seeing them was worth it. We got plecs from everyone, a drumstick, a signed poster and a picture with the guys (but well, we paid more than $ 20 :)). After about 25 mins. their security guys took us back out again. But the band was really nice so I don't know what happened back then at the Slipknot meet and greet.

7. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM

wow, that is fucked up
    caught in the corners of my mind,
    thinking it over one more time,
    taking me over,
    taking all thats mine

one more time

8. RE: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I think it is important to separate the music from the musicians. Can't speak about Slipknot because I never meet them or that particular situation because I wasn't there, but it does happen that musicians can be assholes. Doesn't change their music one. So it's silly to stop listening to a band because the person is a dick. For example I'm a Ted Nugent, but would never want to meet him. Almost everything he says pisses me off. But he is a great guitarist and makes great music, and that's all that mater.

9. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I think it is important to separate the music from the musicians. Can't speak about Slipknot because I never meet them or that particular situation because I wasn't there, but it does happen that musicians can be assholes. Doesn't change their music one. So it's silly to stop listening to a band because the person is a dick. For example I'm a Ted Nugent, but would never want to meet him. Almost everything he says pisses me off. But he is a great guitarist and makes great music, and that's all that mater.
    Great way to put it! I logged in here to post this lol!!!! That's how strongly I agree with you lmfao!!! :)
    "DEAL WITH IT"

10. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Tue, May 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Never met Slipknot but my friend met Corey at his book signing and he said he was the coolest and funniest guy ever. Another one of my friends met SId and he said he's a really down to earth, cool guy. The only band members I ever met were from Crashdiet, Jettblack and Sister, I wouldn't say they are that famous but they have a big fanbase and they are noting but nice to their fans. When I met Eric Young (Crashdiet, drumer) he was really funny, signed my setlist, took a picture with me and had a brief chat about some random shit. Same with Jon Dow (Jettblack, lead guitarist)... he even asked my friend and I to drink with them but unfortunately we had to head back home.

I guess most of the time it's the time and those annoying ass guards or whatever they are. If it's a smaller, more intimate gig, then I don't understand why bands wouldn't take their time and chat to their fans. If it's a huge stadium gig with a pre-paid meet and greet and tight schedule I dont it's the bands fault.
    "Become good at cheating and you never need to become good at anything."

11. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I dunno about Axl these days, but he blows Slipknot outta the water in that department. "Him... outta here! Take that shirt!" Over a "Slash is GNR" shirt... lmfao.

12. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I believe it to be the time and coordinator's fault. You can't blame the band.

13. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:23 AM

That sucks. Poor kid.
    Does it make me bad??

14. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 6:05 AM

No, can't blame the band.. I would imagine that marketing and the coordinator is at fault. My last m & g with korn was very similar... we were only allowed one thing to sign and no photos (that was a huge bummer for me).. but JD did give me two autographs, one on my drawing of him, and one on me, now a tattoo of course. I did get to speak to Fieldy a little more cause he was over in another area with Stillwell. He signed my drawing and gave me a pick, and signed the CD I got from them as well. I'm not sure if I could have really thought of anything to say but to stutter a thank you and make a fool of myself! LOL!

15. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Yeah i think it was the coordinator's fault for putting too many fans in the m+g and not much time. when i got to see korn i could talk to the members and get my stuff signed. in the bass lesson i had at LEAST 20 minutes with Fieldy.

16. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Never met KoRn in my life but I hope that one day it could be possible, it's like dream, aha...

So, the others few bands I've met were really awewome, Sonny from POD is a really cool guy, Fred of LB (yep he's cool ^^), guys from Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Edguy (Tobbias is really cool), Within Temptation, Gojira and Sepultura too... Never been desapointed.

17. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I remember at Family Values 2006, I stood in line to wait for a Stone Sour signing. The band was friendly especially Corey and Jim but, their handlers were rude. I can see why he was upset.

I heard some stories about Korn back when I was in high school. However, when I met them they all were very nice.
    Does it make me bad??

18. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM

The $20 that guy paid was probably for the Slipknot fan club OT9. I joined for a year primarily for pre-sale access. For their fanclub I got an early entry pass for all their headlining shows, a DVD, patches and the aforementioned 11X7 pic. They offered meet and greets through a draw for those who bought tickets to their shows. All I had to do to get backstage passes was post in their forum what show I was going to. I thought they treated their fans well, sure as hell didnt have to wait outside in the cold.

For their meet n greet they gave away band swag, autographs, took pics with their fans and posted em on their site. The guys were cool but as with any touring band they were pressed for time. After the meet n greet they went straight to the stage. Also seen them in early 2000 on their club tour, the guys in Slipknot were hanging out moving around freely without masks LOL not many people bothered em for autographs then, "whose that guy?" hahaha.

On a related note, Was at the KoRn meet n greet in Detroit the other night. It was running a little late but they held the doors as the guys spent some time with their fans and radio station contest winners. Got to hear em soundcheck and hangout. Autographs n pics. Had a blast at that show.
    CRZTOV

EDIT; Should also be noted that on Festivals or co-headlining with other large bands, most groups have little say or control over how meet n greets take place. Sometimes not at all if the co-headliners have a hissy fit (Slayer wanted meet n greets for their fanclub but a certain..Charles Monroe couldnt be bothered with people backstage).

19. Re: Why Do Bands Treat Their Fans Like Shit?

Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I like going to the big festivals where they have the free meet & greets where they end up giving you a free glossy 8x10 and the band will sign it (it's always the special guests and never the headliners) the first one I ever knew of that was going on was a KoRn one, though.

Get the latest from Korn!